VBE: What and why?
- User Defined Functions, aka UDFs, that can be invoked by the user. For example, a UDF may return a value based on other information in the file.
- Subroutines or "Subs" perform behind-the-scenes actions such as opening and merging files.
- UserForms are created to provide interactive input and reporting.
- Event Procedures are Subs triggered when one of a defined set of events occur. For example, if an email is to be sent when a workbook is saved and closed, then the Workbook_Close event would include code to send the email (or call a different Sub to do this).
- Links to other files and applications (binding)
|VBE with Project|
Opening the VBE
Alt-F11Hold the ALT key and click F11. This works under all conditions, even when no files are open.
|Macro Dialogue: No Macros Available|
|Macro Dialogue: Edit button enabled|
|Macro Dialogue: Enabling the Create button|
|Ribbon with Developer menu selected and highlighted, Visual Basic and Macros icons highlighted|